Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Slack-Lining

Welcome to Try-Athlete the blog where I try all the latest fitness and diet trends so you don't have to. This week I tried slacklining, have you ever seen it or heard of it? 
Slacklining is kind of like tightrope walking between two trees. The slack line looks like a dog's leash and you use rock climbing carribeeners to connect it to 2 trees about 20-30 feet away from each other. 
Slacklining takes tremendous balance just like tightrope walking. You start by trying to balance on the line with one foot and then try to walk. When you first start your leg shakes and it makes the line shake too. You have to push yourself up quickly as not to shake the whole line. 
First I tried my left leg and the whole line shook but then when I put pressure on the line it stopped and I could stand up for maybe one second. I then would alternate each time to the opposite leg so they both got a good workout. It was a workout too I started sweating and my friend I was doing it with told me to take a break. 

So I took about a 10 minute break and when I went back and started again I was much better. My friend said this happened frequently, when you took a break and then attempted the slackline again you would improve. I was staying up for 5-10 seconds this time. I decided to try and walk and I was almost getting there when my foot slipped and I fell off the slack-ine and directly onto my shoulder. I heard a crunch and it hurt but I wasn't seriously hurt so I continued. 
I tried a few more times to walk but my balance wasn't as good as it was before my fall. My shoulder was sore so I decided I had had enough slackline for the day. I had such a great time slacklining that day. I had watched people on a slackline before but I had never tried it. It was really fun and everytime I got up on it I wanted to improve. I was impressed by how good my balance was for my first time trying it. I would definitely encourage friends and other workout enthusiasts to try slacklining. It is great for your balance and your confidence. And even though I fell off I didn't let that get me down because I had stayed up all those other attempts. So until next time stay fit and stay strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment